Friday, July 24, 2020

DFI 1. Core Business, Friday Online Term 3 Cohort : 2020


I've learnt today that students are wanting to create things in this digital world and that they also want to share their learning to a wider audience. They are more engaged with a modern platform which in turn raises student achievement!

I learnt so much today!
  • I've updated my Google profile and created nicknames for the different Google profiles I have to make them easily identifiable.
  • All about Google groups (permission is required from the principal, for example, as the creator has access to all the email addresses in the group)
  • My Google drive is organised - still needs a bit of tidying up.
  • My share settings have been sorted now with one quick move - by moving all my folders into a 2020 folder and making that folder shareable to anyone who has the link.
  • I know how to change my share settings so that slides or documents cannot be copied or printed - this is useful for learners as sometimes they make copies of the incorrect document.
  • I can't wait to use the Chrome extension of Record to Slides


  • This will be great for my learners who struggle to follow the intructions they nhave to read on a Learn Create Share. Instructions and learnign becomes rewindable!
  • The session on Google Documents was so useful - the way to teach students on how to start out creating a document within a folder. 
  • Adding titles and a table of contents means that students only need use one document which can be dated all all of their writing work.
  • Using a url link to give students access to a particular paragraph
  • To take advantage of voice typing for those students who are reluctant or struggle to write.
  • Creating posters on Google Docs is possible! 
  • Tools, EXPLORE is the way to go for making sure that anything that is copy and pasted is correctly referenced.
  • Using Ctrl shift V to ensure all formatting is stripped
  • Inserting images and making them more streamlined and looking better by using the Remove.bg - Remove backgrounds from images
  • I found the Eyes on Text - Reading Mileage very valuable for students who need to read everyday and it is a great way to monitor their progress.
  • I still need to:
  • create better habits to help me manage my work flow which will in turn benefit my personal life. 
  • A better work-life balance 
  • A way to show all the learning I have done and a way to show all the teaching I have done! 



4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Cheryl,
    Looks like you have taken away a heap of really interesting tools and tips from the session. I think that this weeks session on workflow will also be super useful for you. Work life balance is very important! I think that lockdown gave us the chance to really reflect on the things that we need to be doing for our own mental health.
    Look forward to hearing about what you have managed to put in place.
    -Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Cheryl, I found your post really helpful and liked the way you used bullet points - makes for easy reference! I'd forgotten abut the Voice to Text tool so will make sure to try it with my younger readers.

    ReplyDelete

DFI : Revision

Kia Ora katoa,  I can't believe how fast these past weeks have flown by and how much learning I have done in that time. I appreciate hav...